Welcome to the world, eOn2

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

AMDave

Post by AMDave »

It is nice to see you up and about. ;)

It is a long time since Andreas worked his fingers to the bone in the 'mad scientist's lab' and conjured you into life.
http://theochem.org/~andreas/installEON ... buted.html

Well done to Andreas and Graeme.
The long road of many steps arrives at a destination, as long as you are not on the M25. hehe
Saenger

Re: Welcome to the world, eOn2

Post by Saenger »

And welcome to a new project, fellow ATAs ;)

Here's the usual pizza and beer:
[img]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/s ... zabeer.jpg[/img ]

If you wonder, what an ATA may be: Alpha Testers Anonymous
Last edited by Saenger on Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Polynesia

Post by Polynesia »

Hello

I do not know if this is the right topic, but I'll still ask my question.

I am a member of the team mini EDLS French alliance and I wanted to know whether it could be a description of the project in terms that everyone can understand? Finally, at least for me, but I do not feel alone in this case ...

And if we could know the objectives and applications in everyday life of the project, thank you?

Congratulations to the team and wish you on behalf of Alliance Francophone, could go after the project ...
matt

Post by matt »

We'll have a detailed description of the research done by this project soon under the "science" link on the main page (http://eon.ices.utexas.edu/eon2/science.php). I'll PM you when it's done.
Polynesia

Post by Polynesia »

Thanks You
NGS~Cpt00Kirk

Post by NGS~Cpt00Kirk »

Yeah, after some time Eon is back in business!.

When DPC made the Eon proxy the interest was big from our team ( and others like Norway ), now on BOINC we are happy that we can Crunch again!
Lets see if we can have a good fight again and help the Eon-staff with our results.

Cheers from the DPC Herd!
carlos

Post by carlos »

Will the eon points be transferred to eon2? eon points were based by number of tasks (wu's) tested...
Is the client code portable to CUDA? eon windows binaries are 32 bits, what about a 64-bit version?

During this transition time was any paper written? If so please post it here, thank you.

Anyway, I am glad to see eon back, my all time favourite project.

Carlos
matt

Post by matt »

We are still working on transferring old eon points over (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=727).

The client code is not portable to CUDA. While we would like to take advantage of graphics cards, their architecture constrains what kind of calculations we can run efficiently. In order to use graphics cards effectively, we would need to be doing calculations on much larger systems.

I think that the 32-bit client should work on both 32- and 64-bit windows. If it doesn't we can try to compile a 64-bit version.
Sorceress

Post by Sorceress »

Matt,

FWIW, you need to implement an anti-spam program into the profile creation/editing process or the spammers will fill your database with thousands of ads. A good program for that is called 'ReCaptcha' were a human response is required to match numbers/letters/words before a profile can be created or edited. Once the find your database is unprotected, you'll have a mess on your hands.
matt

Post by matt »

Do you mean the BOINC user database or the forum user database?
Sorceress

Post by Sorceress »

matt wrote:Do you mean the BOINC user database or the forum user database?
The BOINC user database with our profile information. It's unsecured and the spammers can fill it with sex ads, med ads, etc. unless you block their access. The ReCaptcha program does that very well. Go here for info: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/learnmore
matt

Post by matt »

We are now using reCaptcha. Thanks for the tip.
gloryland

Post by gloryland »

Hi, I recently joined this new worthwhile project. By the way, what is the difference between the old eOn client application and the new eOn client application?
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

The primary different right now is that we are now using boinc for the client/server architecture instead of our home-built version. The client code is very similar. We are, however, expanding that as well. In the next few weeks, we'll start doing dynamics trajectories and ab initio (DFT) based work units.
gloryland

Post by gloryland »

Thanks for the prompt reply. This new project is off to a good start! This sounds like bigger workunits that will take more time to complete.

What is dynamics trajectories and ab initio (DFT)?