eOn Client 4.0 Always Only 1 Day to Complete?

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

Ex_Brit

eOn Client 4.0 Always Only 1 Day to Complete?

Post by Ex_Brit »

I notice that eOn comes in with always a completion of the next day which is fine and dandy except for people running multiple projects, it then places itself ahead of others and Boinc gives it priority as a result.

Is this normal or should I see a change eventually? I'm new at this particular project.

I've watched several WU's come in since posting and each one is due the next day. That really isn't fair to my other projects, and considering I close down for the night, may or may not complete in time anyway, so I'm going to weigh up if this is really worth the effort.

It would help if someone would answer posts here too.....hint, hint. ;-)
Dude

Re: eOn Client 4.0 Always Only 1 Day to Complete?

Post by Dude »

Agreed, this is a serious issue. As soon a I receive Work Units from eOn, they are all marked as High Priority since they expire in 24 hrs thus suspending all other boinc projects.

Due to this issue, I have been forced to suspend eOn until it decides to play nice with the other BOINC projects. Just for reference, most projects have Work Units that expire in 7 days, perhaps longer. Anything less than 3 days is absurd.

eOn Team please fix this trivial config issue ASAP, as your project is on the verge of being De-attached from my BOINC project manager.
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

As I understand this, the issue is that we switched to longer work units (and then back to short ones, due to problems in our expensive calculations). All of the issues, related to priority and points, are a result of boinc's accounting system. We just don't have control over this. Well, perhaps if we had a better understand of what boinc was doing, we could change things, but leaving the system to function as it does, the system takes some time to adjust between different lengths of work units.

In my experience, if you just wait, the point system and estimation of the time for work unit completion (which, in turn, sets the high priority) adjusts back to normal after a few days.
Murdog

Post by Murdog »

The problem I am having is with the assigned deadlines. I have WUs from other projects that estimate 3 hours to complete but the project sets the deadline a week (or more) out. eOn always comes in with an extremely short deadline (48 hours or less). This causes BOINC to place it at the front of the queue. Once complete, it downloads another set of high priority WUs effectively churning out nothing but eOn and putting all other projects, with deadlines longer than a day, permanently on hold. Who assigns WU deadlines? Thanks!
upstatelabs

Post by upstatelabs »

I'm not an admin, so I'm probably not be explaining this 100% correctly, but my understanding is that the short deadlines are completely deliberate, and are a necessity for the project. Since the calculations for the WUs done today are used in tomorrow's WUs, if they aren't completed in the short time-span, they aren't useful.

That said, you should be able to do other projects at the same time without eOn hogging everything... I do! If the other projects have similar priority and you switch between projects every couple of hours, you should be good to go. Unless you are using a very slow computer (if the WUs from eOn are longer than a few hours, that could be an problem). If it doesn't settle out for you after a day or two, I don't know, maybe this project won't work out for you. Like I said, I have eOn running nice with several other projects on the same P4 2.8MHz computer and it isn't an issue evenly sharing resources.
harny

Post by harny »

upstatelabs wrote: my understanding is that the short deadlines are completely deliberate, and are a necessity for the project.
Are you sure about this? It's not really ideal for multiple projects so I don't think it is deliverate, maybe a bug?
upstatelabs

Post by upstatelabs »

harny wrote:
upstatelabs wrote: my understanding is that the short deadlines are completely deliberate, and are a necessity for the project.
Are you sure about this? It's not really ideal for multiple projects so I don't think it is deliverate, maybe a bug?
I am completely sure. The one-day tat is both deliberate and a complete necessity. Contrary to the opinions elsewhere, it isn't trivial to extend out the tat because tomorrow's work depends on today's work. That is how this project works, it's on the index page, you know.
After finishing its calculation, each client computer sends it's results back to the server, which summarizes the results and sends out more jobs.
It isn't an issue meeting the tat if your system runs 24/7, since the WUs typically are under 1hr run time. And I have no problem getting multiple projects to go on one system if I just set it up to switch projects every 2 hrs and don't try to micromanage as it settles itself out. If you are on a laptop that is off a lot, or a system that is only 'on' occasionally, you should choose another project like WCG or Einstein or seti that has a long tat. If you can do the WUs, then stay on and enjoy the project. If you can't, don't get mad, just choose something else.