increasing precision of calculation

Bader charge density analysis

Moderator: moderators

oasd001

increasing precision of calculation

Post by oasd001 »

Dear developpers and users,

When running the 'bader' code on a pure vanadium 2x2x2 supercell (16 atom with ideal BCC positions), I get fluctuations in the charge of the vanadium atoms depending on their positions in the supercell. Typical variations are of order 0.05 in 13.00 electrons.
Is there a parameter I can change to decrease the magnitude of these unphysical variations?
thanks in advance for your advice.
Regards,
Olivier.
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

Yes, one way to improve the precision is to use a finer charge density grid. You can do this by specifying NGXF, NGYF and NGZF in the INCAR file. I usually look in the OUTCAR or CHGCAR file to see what it is by default, and then multiply the default values by 1.5 or 2.
andri
Site Admin

Post by andri »

A good thing to try a well is to converge the electronic structure using a smaller than usual EDIFF value, something like 1E-8.
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

Andri, have you seen a smaller ediff value (going from a normal value of 1e-5 to to a smaller value of 1e-8) effect the bader charges?
andri
Site Admin

Post by andri »

I can't recall any specific instances but I'm pretty sure that decreasing EDIFF as helped me in the past to reduce noise in the charges.