Science Update?

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

bnpoteet94

Science Update?

Post by bnpoteet94 »

I just browsed through the past forum posts, and I didn't find anything regarding the actual science being done since January 2011. So, how are things coming along now? Is this project meant to run indefinitely, or is there an end goal in sight?

I contribute a lot of computing time to this project, so it would be nice to get an update. Otherwise, I feel like my contribution is meaningless.

Thanks.
graeme
Site Admin

Re: Science Update?

Post by graeme »

Yes, for sure: we have two papers, one just accepted and the other in the final stage of review. I'll post a link to them and a brief explanation in the upcoming weeks.
bnpoteet94

Post by bnpoteet94 »

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to taking a look at those papers.
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

Well, they are not out yet, but here are two manuscripts describing some of the recent work done with EON. The first is a description of what our code is able to do, and the second is a method improvement which has been made to EON.

http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/henkelman/p ... 055002.pdf
http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/henkelman/pubs/akmcmd.pdf

On this productive note, we are actually deciding to retire the EON project; we will take it down tomorrow. While it has been useful at times, it is also a little cumbersome to maintain, as compared to other computational resources. Thank you all for your help!
bnpoteet94

Post by bnpoteet94 »

Thanks for the manuscripts.

I'm glad I could help with the project.
Yacob

Post by Yacob »

It is unbelievable the lack of information about this shut down.
According to www.boincstats.com I am the 139th world contributor to this project, I still had WU working in my computer and the project just shut down, without previous notice.
The website is not accessible anymore and... what if a user would like to know what happened with his/her contributions at this moment, at the end of the project??
Do I have to google and, just by coincidence, find this 2 papers?
At least, the website should be active during a month or two, explaining the contributions and summarizing the results of the project. This is just the first thing that comes to my mind.
I am a researcher too and I feel this is not very professional, I am quite disappointed.