instant error with Client 4.00

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

michaelCG*

instant error with Client 4.00

Post by michaelCG* »

Okay maybe it is time again to spend CPU-cycles to any other project for a decade or two until some real software developers may join eOn to teach how to build, test and improve software.

First of all learn the very basic lesson of software development => how to roll-out new software releases.
a) Take a small group of volunteer beta-testers and let them inspect the software you coded.
b) Do not send your software out to any of those who are NOT marked as volunteer beta-testers.
c) Listen to your beta-testers and react fast to their suggestions.
d) If there is a bug, feel free to eliminate this bug instead of insisting that it is just an additional feature.

Sorry for being so harsh but i am getting mad when tasks instantly failing without any reason.

You may send me an email when you fixed following problems with your client:
1 not working progressbar
2 instantly failing workunits
3 checkpointing included
4 endless workunits
5 ignored user settings (allow testapplications) etc.

so if you do not manage to get this 5 points fixed, do not send me any email.
Tex1954

Re: instant error with Client 4.00

Post by Tex1954 »

Every project has problems at one time or another... You are a volunteer, they have no obligation to treat you special and send YOU a personal email.

Patience allows one to asses the relative importance of events in their lives. The errors and instantly failing WU's are such a small thing in life that one would think it silly when something wrong happens! Everybody experiences Woopsies once in a while... Certainly nothing to get angry over... not like you got hit by a car or lost a job or got really sick...

Perhaps anger & priority management courses in order?

8-)
adrianxw

Post by adrianxw »

He is, however, quite right. If the project wants volunteers to do their work for them, it is not unreasonable to expect some degree of testing before sending streams of useless wu's out. This morning, I allowed new tasks again, and downloaded a shed load of wu's with time to completion set to 00:00:00! I'm back to no new tasks again.

As we are in course recomendation mode, perhaps I could suggest one in resource management?
Tex1954

Post by Tex1954 »

BOINC and BOINC Projects and BOINC Tasks within those projects are often created and maintained by...

ready???

Students! Or, as I have been known to call some of them, Stupdents...

Well, folks really have to prove they are stupdents to me (many in anonymous forums do)...

In this project as well as others, there are and/or will be problems... but isn't it so interesting that most of the threads relate to problems rather than to praise or encouragement?

Could anybody here state for certainty that all the developers were not killed in a bus wreck or a major lead incapacitated for some reason? Do we not BOINC for the betterment of humanity at large?

I find it difficult in the extreme to reconcile the giving person who BOINCs with the hatred and condemnation I see sometimes in BOINC forums.

The giving person probably pays the electric bills and equipment costs and donates these to projects... It is no different than making a direct donation to UNITED WAY or any other charity... But then these same persons lash out when something doesn't go perfectly all the time every time...

Mostly the folks I have noticed who BOINC that are this way are impatient and young and/or they are only concerned for computer points or standing in some BOINC Team.

Let's face it, doing BOINC requires little more than loading a program on a computer and letting it run. That whole task takes what? 30 minutes max? And BOINC Combined, who invented that? The projects usually have some form of recognition, badges, certificates, whatever... but outsiders created BOINC combined... what is sad is how many folks think their total points combined is like so important and put it even with the Olympics or something... for a lousy 30 minutes work...

Sigh... I hate to see so much emotion tied up in a simple computer program that mostly runs fine by itself... and those that get so emotional over it lack all patience and reasonableness... Children... and to point out these facts makes them defensive instead of retrospective...

But, it needs to be said... BOINC is a 30 minute install task and usually needs not much maintenance after that and shouldn't take a major part of anyones life because it isn't living or working for real... it's sitting on your but in front of a computer doing not much!

So, for those that feel the need to lash out at developers (students? researchers?) whilst never putting (or being able to put) themselves in developers shoes, I say grow up and get a life. If you don't like a project because it doesn't cater to your every expectation, drop it.

:(

I may point out that even when giving to Save The Children or some other such charity, children still die... that should not stop the giving should it?
Last edited by Tex1954 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tex1954

Post by Tex1954 »

adrianxw wrote:He is, however, quite right. If the project wants volunteers to do their work for them, it is not unreasonable to expect some degree of testing before sending streams of useless wu's out. This morning, I allowed new tasks again, and downloaded a shed load of wu's with time to completion set to 00:00:00! I'm back to no new tasks again.

As we are in course recomendation mode, perhaps I could suggest one in resource management?
LOL!

I partially agree... but not knowing the facts, it is only wreckless to speculate why the lack of responses from project leaders and such. There is simply no data... maybe the Zip routine that compresses the files for download took a dump on the server! Who can tell?

It is entirely possible nobody is actually monitoring this project at the moment and have no idea what is happening for whatever reason...

It's also possible they are all dead in a bus accident or plane crash... who knows?

Without getting personal or emotional, what I do is simply report the problem best I can and set NNT... maybe check it once a day/week to see if things fixed... Possibly we have to wait until next month before a response... no biggy... only takes seconds to reverse NNT once it starts running well again...

I'm still waiting for Orbit to get funding again and start running again too... still some hope there... someday... maybe...

:)