Can the NEB be run with deactivated IMAGES-tag

Vasp transition state theory tools

Moderator: moderators

Yuli63

Can the NEB be run with deactivated IMAGES-tag

Post by Yuli63 »

To run NEB for a few 0*/ directories in parallel required large number of CPUs. Is it possible to submit the jobs from each 0*/ separately? Thank you.
graeme
Site Admin

Re: Can the NEB be run with deactivated IMAGES-tag

Post by graeme »

no
arup

Post by arup »

To solve this issue i used the following way and faced one confusion.

Parallel node run
1) I made six images using nebmake.pl
I ran the NEB parallely using six nodes and got the TS.

Single node run
1) I made one more directory (read 'one') where i have copied the generated 01 directory. Following the same way i have made 'two' and copied 02 there as 01. Same way i copied 03, 04, 05 ,06 to the 'three', 'four', 'five', 'six' as 01. Now, 00 and 07 directories are copied to 'one', 'two' ......'six' as 00 and 02.
2) Now, i ran the NEB calculation in each 'one', 'two', 'three', ..... separately using single node on each and got the TS.

But, activation barrier is high (about by 0.5 eV) when i ran in single node than parallel run. But, it should same. What could be possible reason and which way is correct to calculate NEB.

Thanks
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

It just doesn't make sense to run single image NEB calculations. The minimum energy path is a non-local object and is found by the collective optimization of all images together.
berna_akgenc

Post by berna_akgenc »

Dear All,

I don't understand what does it mean of single run?

This is my receipt to get minimum energy pathways as implemented in NEB.
1. I am creating my sub-directions files via "nebmake.pl POSCAR00 POSCAR06 5" command. The program create 5 different type POSCAR file in those directories.
2. Copy INCAR KPOINTS and POTCAR file to sub-directories (deleted SPRING, LCLIMB tag in INCAR file)
3. Run a job for every single directories.
4. Gain minimum energies versus number of images

I am confused right now, Am I doing right?
Thank you,
Berna
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

You are not. You use the script to make the directory structure as you said but then you run a single vasp calculation from the parent directory. Make sure to set the IMAGES tag in the INCAR file and run the calculation using a number of processors that is a multiple of the number of image. Vasp will then automatically go into the directories and run simultaneous calculations of each image to form the band.