4374 hour work unit?

eOn code for long time scale dynamics

Moderator: moderators

jhrowehl

4374 hour work unit?

Post by jhrowehl »

I didn't see any other thread concerning extremely long time estimates on WU's, so here goes... :-)

I have set most of my computers to not request new tasks from eOn due to the long time estimates that were interfering with downloading WU's for other projects. This weekend (Aug 6) I allowed new work units to one of my computers, and got WU# 1685261387_425940_0 with an estimated completion time of 4374 hours. That's not a typo, that's four thousand three hundred seventy four hours, 182.25 days, or more than 6 months to complete. Needless to say, with 6 months of work in a 2 day work queue, nothing else was sent to my computer. The computer of interest is #15912 on eOn.

I'm still somewhat of a newbie with BOINC... I started running SETI when it first came out. When BOINC replaced SETI classic, it had numerous undesired effects on my computer, including lockups, crashes, etc. It was with many regrets that I had to stop crunching for SETI, but I couldn't have the computer crashing repeatedly. I've just recently, within the past month, installed BOINC on several of my newer systems, and am happily back in the 'crunch crowd'!

I guess it all boils down to the possibility that I'm not familiar yet with the way that BOINC, or the BOINC projects, come up with the time estimate for WU completion. I did read something (can't remember where) that the BOINC manager uses the actual work time to adjust the estimated time for the WU's? And, does the work buffer in BOINC manager set the number of days work to download for the host, or for each individual project?

I have this concern for this particular computer because it is the laptop that I carry for work, and spends most of the day without an internet connection. All my other computers are at home and have 24 hour internet service.

If the long time estimate is related to some part of generating the work units, then I've done my good deed for the day and let the folks at eOn know. :-) But, more than likely, it's that I don't have a firm grasp of how BOINC manager, or the BOINC projects, figure the times for each WU. If anyone can provide a short explanation on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
upstatelabs

Re: 4374 hour work unit?

Post by upstatelabs »

I've had lots of these too. They don't actually take that long of course, mine have been mostly less than five hours, none more than 24hrs, that I can tell. It is aggravating that the time to completion estimates are so far off, as it makes it hard to manage the workloads the way you'd want. I don't know if it's coincidental or not, but the credit for the work done has really dropped off, too.