Please append version numbers to tarballs

Vasp transition state theory tools

Moderator: moderators

ikir

Please append version numbers to tarballs

Post by ikir »

I just finished scripting builds of VASP 5.4.1 with VTST r158 yesterday, and when tried to download VTST today, the MD5 of the code .tgz was different. I went to the website, but the version number there marked for the download hadn't changed. There was no changelog, no announcement on the forum, but when I unpacked the .tgz file to see what the difference was, it was version r160 instead of 158.

This was, well, really rather frustrating, to be honest, (especially given how relatively messy VASP is to patch and install just on its own,) and I'd hope that if the vtstcode.tgz release packages were instead labelled with their release id (e.g. vtstcode-r160.tgz), it would mean that someone would at least have to update the webpage before it would start serving new versions.

It'd also mean that we could keep a list of valid MD5 sums with filenames to cache and verify our downloads.

Is this something that could be added to whatever workflow uploads the .tgz bundles to the site?
graeme
Site Admin

Re: Please append version numbers to tarballs

Post by graeme »

This is a very good suggestion and something that we should have been doing. I'll try to get this set up today.
graeme
Site Admin

Re: Please append version numbers to tarballs

Post by graeme »

Ok, the vtstcode and vtstscript tar files will now unpack with the svn version number appended to the directory.