CI-NEB not converging

Vasp transition state theory tools

Moderator: moderators

ypochareddy

CI-NEB not converging

Post by ypochareddy »

Dear Professor,
I am working on a Mg, Mn, Ti and S system. I am having convergence issues. Could you please help me solve this? I have attached relevant files.

Thanks
Attachments
CINEB.rar
(20.58 MiB) Downloaded 1642 times
graeme
Site Admin

Re: CI-NEB not converging

Post by graeme »

Start by further minimizing your initial and final state structures - they do not appear stable to me.
ypochareddy

Post by ypochareddy »

Dear Professor,
I rerelaxed the Inital and Final images with EDIFF = 1E-5 and EDIFFG = 1E-6 and then ran the NEB calculations but I am still having convergence issues. I have attached relevant files. Could you please advice me on how to proceed further?

[attachment=0]Step4_POTIM_Relax2.rar[/attachment]
Attachments
Step4_POTIM_Relax2.rar
(20.78 MiB) Downloaded 695 times
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

Your endpoints should be relaxed with the same settings as your band. You endpoints appear to be spin polarized with +U and your band has neither.
graeme
Site Admin

Post by graeme »

This may help. In the attached, I reconverged your endpoints (min1a.tar.gz and min2a.tar.gz) and then did an NEB calculation between them. I used more reasonable settings (regular potentials, ENCUT~300eV, KPOINTS=2x2x2, prec=Normal, LREAL=Auto) and was able to complete these calculations in a couple of hours.

I have said this many many times on this forum, but I will repeat here that it is much better to use a minimal set of parameters that will qualitatively reproduce the geometry. It is then trivial to reconverge your calcualtions with more accurate settings. In your case, you used +U and spin polarization for the endpoints with (in my view) far too precise settings of LREAL=False, prec=Accurate, _pv/_sv potentials, KPOINTS=5x5x5, ENCUT=500, but then turned off +U and spin polarization for your NEB with only 3 images. No. The way to go is to use modest settings to find reaction mechanisms and geometries and then increase parameters to efficiently determine the precision of your calculations.
Attachments
neba.tar.gz
(9.51 MiB) Downloaded 1649 times
min2a.tar.gz
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 689 times
min1a.tar.gz
(902.83 KiB) Downloaded 685 times